9172 - Police Officer 3rd Class
|The IUPUI Police Department is accepting applications for Police Officer. This position will perform law enforcement work to ensure a safe, secure and service oriented environment and assist other law enforcement agencies as needed. |
• Protect citizen’s rights, property and persons. Identify and prevent criminal and delinquent behavior. Maintain order and facilitate the safe, expeditious movement of pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
• Assist citizens, resolve conflict, maintain order and deter crime. Provide information to students, faculty and staff regarding University policy and procedures.
• Investigate complaints and accidents, document information, maintain records, collect evidence, question individuals, draft reports and enter reports in the Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) and Records Management System (RMS). Enter information/reports/accidents/citations into all software systems and databases as required.
• Issue citations and/or arrest law violators. Prepare and serve civil processes. Respond quickly to medical assistance calls, accidents, fires, disturbances, and breaches of law. Administer aid as a first responder.
• Provide security for buildings and property of Indiana University. Provide security and law enforcement presence for special events (commencement, athletic events, visiting dignitaries, cultural events, etc).
Additional duties: • Parking Enforcement • Provide citizen vehicle assistance: Security Escort • Unlock lock officers, classrooms • Respond to and investigate fire alarms, intrusion alarms & panic alarms. Additional duties: • Parking Enforcement • Provide citizen vehicle assistance: Security Escort • Unlock lock officers, classrooms • Respond to and investigate fire alarms, intrusion alarms & panic alarms. • CPR Instructor • Mobile Video Lead Officer Assist with management of Mobile Video Systems. Act as expert in use and maintenance of equipment installed in the vehicles. Train officers in the use of Mobile Video Systems
|Required Qualifications: |
Academy Completed Enrolled or have recently completed
Education High school /GED
Prior Law Enforcement Experience Less than 2 years
Alternative Education/Exp Combination N/A
•Ability to communicate and perform duties effectively and in a professional manner during situations that may rapidly evolve and range from friendliness and persuasion to firmness and deadly force.
•Ability to understand written and verbal instructions and perform tasks efficiently.
•Ability to read, write and speak English fluently.
•Basic knowledge of computers and word processing/email/database software systems.
•Demonstrated competency in the performance of specialized duties where in specialized training has been provided and completed.
•Valid Indiana Driver’s license and ability to be insured by Indiana University.
•Drive vehicle with due regard for existing conditions and potentially dangerous situations.
•Complete and maintain all required annual law enforcement training and certifications as prescribed by Indiana State Law and the Indiana Law enforcement Training Board (ILETB)
•Current and continued certification in university required courses such as CPR, AED, Blood Borne Pathogens, IDACS, etc.
•Current firearms qualification.
•Skilled in the use and care of firearms and all other associated law enforcement equipment.
Incumbent is responsible for maintaining the safety of campus for all people who work here, attend classes and visit the campus as well as the safety and security of buildings. Failure to provide due diligence in the completion of these responsibilities places at risk both the safety and academic mission of the faculty, students and staff of the institution.
Standing, walking, driving, climbing over obstacles, squatting/kneeling, reaching, grasping, pushing/pulling, twisting/bending, lifting/carrying up to 50lbs multiple times per shift, fingering, talking, hearing, and seeing. Must maintain physical and mental readiness to react to sudden/dramatic changes in working conditions. Must be able to pass Indiana Law Enforcement Academy (ILEA) physical standards. Make discriminations and decisions concerning subtle cues of impending danger or inconsistencies in witnesses/ or suspects; testimonies, etc.
Majority of time spend outdoors working on foot or in a vehicle with possible exposure to extreme hot or cold temperatures for reasonable amounts of time. Physical and mental demands may change dramatically within a few seconds and tax the maximum of human endurance. Will have daily contact with potentially dangerous people, animals, weapons and equipment.
Required High School Diploma plus valid Indiana drivers license; must be able to successfully complete the following training: ILTB Academy, CPR/First Aid, Firearm and Chemical Agent, Baton and all mandated in-service training. Must be able to read and understand written communication as well as speak English clearly, fluently and articulately.