7929 - Assistant Director for Residence Life
|The mission of the Office of Housing and Residence Life at IUPUI is to provide a safe and secure living-learning community that inspires intellectual and personal growth, social responsibility, and multicultural understanding, while providing opportunities for leadership development. |
The Assistant Director for Residence Life at IUPUI will oversee, coordinate, and continue the development of a comprehensive residence life program for the 1700 students living in Ball Residence Hall, University Tower, IUPUI Riverwalk Apartments and the Townhomes; maintain updated personal knowledge of cutting edge residence life practices and ensure that IUPUI HRL meets and/or exceeds national standards.
Some key duties and responsibilities include:
• Recruit, hire, train, and supervise residence life professional staff, Graduate Hall Directors and approximately 50 undergraduate student staff
• Plan and implement the policy enforcement for the housing handbook and IUPUI Student Code of Conduct in consultation with the Associate Director for Housing and the Dean of Students; oversee the implementation of judicial process for infractions; review disciplinary and other incident reports and follow up as necessary; supervise the residence life professional and graduate staff in their adjudication of conduct cases;
• Develop, review, and direct crisis management/intervention strategies, policies and procedures including formulation, training, compliance and assessment; follow through, referrals and follow-up. Provide 24 hour emergency response as needed;
• Plan, coordinate, implement and review housing programs and activities, first year residential communities, residence based learning communities and serve as advisor to the Residence Hall Association; ensure that the RHA actively is involved in the Indiana Residence Hall Organization, the Great Lakes Association of College and University Residence Halls, and the National Association of College and University Residence Halls;
• Investigate and respond to residential concerns and complaints of students, parents, and university administration as they relate to Housing and Residence Life; keep the Associate Director updated on all complaints and the progress towards addressing complaints;
• Work with academic units to develop and teach a peer leadership course for students seeking to become Resident Assistants in Housing and Residence Life; assist the residence life staff to create and implement a comprehensive two-week RA training program to prepare them to work successfully with their residents; provide guidance to residence life professional staff as they develop and teach in-service training sessions to enhance the job skills for RAs as they complete their position throughout the academic year;
• Work with the Assistant Director for Academic Initiatives to implement current Residential Based Learning Communities and to develop new academic partnerships geared toward expanding the RBLC program; attend and participate in campus-wide meetings and committees as they relate to Housing and Residence Life and participate in the formation and evaluation of the strategic plan, mission and goals of the Office of Housing and Residence Life.
|Required: Master's degree from an accredited institution in Higher Education Administration, College Student Affairs, Public Relations, or other appropriate related field, plus 3 years of full-time, professional experience in higher education administration, private or collegiate housing management, student conduct, staff training and development, and budget oversight in a collegiate setting. |