Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to apply online?
Yes. An online process provides efficient use of IU and environmental resources, 24/7 access for applicants, and opportunities for an expanded diverse applicant pool.
- How do I apply for custodial and other service maintenance jobs?
Some campuses require that you apply online for these types of jobs. In some cases paper applications are accepted. If paper applications are accepted the job listing will describe the process and location to submit applications.
- If I had an account on the previous online application system, will I need to create a new one?
Yes. University OLA is significantly different from previous versions; for example, your email address will now be your username. You must create an applicant account in University OLA to apply for future openings.
- How will I know if my application has been forwarded to hiring managers (referred)?
- How long will it be before I hear about my application?
Applications are reviewed on a regular basis. After you have logged in, select My Jobs from the menu. In the listing that appears, scan the Date Referred column. Referred indicates hiring managers have received your materials. Reasons as to why you weren't referred also will be listed here. You can also view the status of the job search, i.e. whether interviews are being conducted or a candidate has been selected.
- I applied for a job and I don't understand the Referral reason on My Jobs.
Not Reviewed – your application has not yet been reviewed by an employment consultant. The review process may take between 2 and 10 days.
Referred – your application has been screened for minimum qualifications and has been forwarded onto the hiring committee. It may take some weeks before the hiring committee schedules interviews.
If your application has not been forwarded onto the hiring committee, there will be some explanation as to why the material has not been forwarded, e.g. you may not meet the educational requirements, the experience requirements, or you may not be eligible for that specific job.
- What if I need to change my cover letter or resume after I've applied for a job?
You may reapply for a job with an updated cover letter and/or resume before your application has been reviewed and a referral decision has been made. If your contact information has changed, update this information under My Account, Personal Profile. If your employment information has changed in your resume, and you are unable to reapply, click on the Contact Us link on the left side of this page.
- What if I apply for a job and I change my mind?
Click on the Contact Us link on the left side of this page. Make sure you provide the job number for which you do not want to be considered. We are unable to remove your application from the applicant pool; the application will be noted as 'not referred' on your My Jobs page.
- I saw a job online and did not apply for it. Now it is no longer listed. Can I still apply?
No. If a job is no longer listed, it is too late to apply.
- Is there a limit on the number of jobs I can apply for and can I apply for several at once?
There is no limit, but applicants should only apply for jobs for which they are qualified. Applicants do themselves a disservice by applying for jobs for which they are not qualified and therefore cannot be referred to hiring officials. You can apply for each job as you view its description and then move on to others using the Return to Search button. Again, make sure you meet the minimum qualifications prior to submitting your application.
- How long are jobs posted?
Jobs are typically posted for two weeks, although exceptions do occur. Jobs must be listed for a minimum of five working days. There is no maximum time a job is listed. Once a job has been listed for the minimum required time, interviews may be conducted and an offer made. It is possible a second listing of the job opening may appear.
- How can I find out when a job has been filled?
After you log in, click on the My Jobs link to see the status of jobs for which you have applied.
- Who should I address my cover letter to?
Because more than one individual will be reading your cover letter, it is perfectly fine to address cover letters "To whom it may concern" or "Dear Search and Screen Committee."
- Will a criminal conviction prevent me from applying for a job?
A criminal conviction does not automatically disqualify you from employment; however, information obtained from the investigation will be used in the employment review process.
- How can I get assistance with the application or selection process if I have a disability?
If you have a disability and need assistance with the application or selection process, special arrangements can be made to accommodate most needs. Please contact (812) 855-7511 for assistance with an accommodation or Click on the Contact Us link on the left side of this page.
- Where is the Human Resources office located?
- How do I contact the Human Resources office?
Human Resources Offices provides access to information about all IU campuses.
- When is the Human Resources office open?
Campus Human Resources Offices are typically open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
"How tos" about OLA
- What if I forgot my password?
If you think you may have made an error when typing your password, try to reenter your username and password.
If you do not know your password, click on the Contact Us link on the left side of this page. Select "Password" in the drop down box. A reply email will ask you to verify the account by providing the answer to the security question you selected during account set–up. Upon verification, your password will be reset and you will receive an email with a temporary password. Emails with account information will be sent to valid usernames only. Make sure the email address provided is your username for OLA.
- What if I forgot my username?
Your username is a valid email account that you have access to. If you are unsure which email account you used to set up your OLA account, click on the Contact Us link. If you provide a valid username that matches our records, we will send an email to that account with information on how to access your OLA account. You may be asked to verify the account by providing the answer to the security question you selected during account set–up. Your password may also be reset to assist you in accessing your account. Emails with account information will be sent to valid username accounts only.
- How will I know if my online application went through successfully?
After you apply for a job, the system may take a few seconds to process the form. You should then see a confirmation page indicating you should verify your submission by clicking on the My Jobs tab.
- What if I get an error message?
Please click on the Contact Us link on the left side of this page. Make sure you copy your error message and include it in the form submission to us.
- How do I save documents for OLA?
- If not already open, locate and open your document.
- From the "File" menu, select "Save As".
- From the drop–down menu beside "Save as type:", select the appropriate file format.
- Select the drive and file folder where you want to store the document.
- Type the name of your document. Do not use spaces or special characters. The name must end in .txt, .rtf, .doc, .docx, or .pdf. You may also need to type the extension (.rtf, for example). An acceptable file name is myresume.rtf.
- Click "Save".
- Close the original document.
- What file types are accepted in OLA?
Only the following file types are accepted:
- Word (.doc or .docx)
- PDF (.pdf)
- Text (.txt or .rtf)
Do not use special characters in the filename.
- What if I don't have a resume stored in OLA? How do I attach documents when applying?
- From within the job listing you select, click "Browse".
- Select the drive and file folder where your cover letter and resume are located on your computer. If you have already saved a resume in OLA, you can use this file with no additional action.
- Select the file.
- Click "Open". The pathname or filename will appear in the "Attach cover letter/resume" field, indicating it has been attached. Example: C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\myresume.rtf
- What if I use a Mac?
Mac OS X users should use the following browsers when creating/modifying an applicant account or applying for jobs:
- Internet Explorer
- How much do jobs pay?
Job advertisements do not always specify a pay rate; however, they do indicate the job grade. For information on job grades, current pay policies, and the current pay schedule, visit the campus web site for salary information. Departments determine the starting pay rate for a new employee based on guidelines set by the university. See the heading Employment Offices in this FAQ.
- What benefits does the university offer?
Visit the Benefits page to discover the excellent benefits of working for IU, including health care, retirement plans, and tuition assistance.
- Are typing and Microsoft tests required when applying for clerical jobs?
Some campuses require tests for specific jobs. If a campus and department determine that typing and/or Microsoft tests are required, the job announcement will indicate this.
- When can I take the typing and Microsoft tests?
Tests are given by appointment. Click on the Contact Us link on the left side of this page to initiate the process of scheduling a required test or contact the campus Employment Office directly.
Applying for other types of jobs
- Where can I find listings for faculty, student and hourly employment?
Academic, student and hourly openings can be accessed from this Find a Job link. In some cases these types of jobs are listed on department web sites only.